Saturday, May 26, 2007

An old miners cabin way out in the bush where I stayed one night during a two day dog mushing trip. It doesn't look like much but it was a huge relief after ten hours of mushing--the last several hours in the dark. Check out how deep the snow is--it took about 45 minutes to snowshoe in from the trail. I actually crawled a lot of it due to ill-fitting snowshoes. Miners, mushers and the like are responsible for its upkeep so that the next weary traveler has a place to stay. There were many holes in the walls where curious bears had made their way in to investigate possible food options. They were patched up nicely with cardboard. I couldn't say what was living in that mattress but I was more than happy to sleep on it. This is the closest to "middle of nowhere" that I've ever been, which was exciting in its own way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
...